To be
honest, I have never heard this term, netiquette.
But of course, I knew about it, it seems that I kind of acquired this whole concept
of rules on my own, using the Internet daily. I was quite pleased when I
realized that I already use all of them (or at least a great part of
them) without even thinking about them.
My opinion
about netiquette? Well, it’s not surprising that I think it’s quite crucial for
using the Internet. It’s like with etiquette in normal (off-line) life – people
need to know how to act and what to expect from the others to keep everything smooth
and clear. However, there are people who ignore all the rules – of both etiquette
and netiquette. And it’s quite difficult to deal with such individuals.
The biggest
problem about Internet communication I find in the fact that people just don’t
realize that the ones they are reacting at aren’t just letters on their screens,
behind the keyboards on the other side are people too, and hiding themselves
behind anonymous identity they just don’t watch what they are saying. People are
able to say terrible things on the Internet, things they would never say to
their opponent face to face. And when these people don’t use netiquette (which they
obviously don’t do), the Internet then looks like a battlefield.
What I like
the most about the article was the notice about possible misunderstanding of emotions
expressed in Internet communication. Especially with e-mails – we usually don’t
use emoticons while writing an e-mail and then a joke or irony may seem offensive.
But even in chats with a load of emoticons which we use so wildly nowadays, misunderstandings
are very often. I usually don’t fight with my friends and when we do fight, the
argument often flares up because of wrongly used words or misinterpretation.
And some of the arguments were way too sharpened because of this, though they wouldn’t
have to be – or they wouldn’t have to be at all. That is something I absolutely hate about on-line
communication and yet, I do it still.



Comments
Post a Comment